Pages

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Yoga Week Recap

This week was void of running, which was completely planned. We just ran our first half marathon, so our legs deserved a rest!

But I didn’t take the week totally off (J on the other hand…) I got a 2-week pass to a nearby yoga studio and have been keeping myself busy! Here’s a recap and my thoughts on the different classes I tried out:

Monday:
Rest Day (Ok, I was lazy this day…;)

Tuesday/Wednesday:
Yin Yoga
This was a nice easy/smooth way to start my yoga program for the week, especially for my tired legs. This class focuses mostly on gentle, prolonged stretching, with some meditation thrown in the mix. It was a great class, and I think it would be a great way to gently calm yourself down after a long day (or a big workout, I’m sure). I always left much calmer and happier than when I came in. We did a little more meditation the second day and I found some stuff I didn’t know I was carrying around inside. It was nice to actually be able to acknowledge that, and to get it out of my system. I think I’ll definitely try to hit up some of these classes in the future, especially if I’m having a tough week (physically or emotionally).

Thursday:
Vinyasa
Well, I think I’m in love with Vinyasa. What a great workout for strength, balance, and flexibility. The focus of the class is on the “flow”, synchronized with breathing, through each pose. I like that the instructor gives you so many alternatives for each pose. This way you can get a workout that’s best suited for your own abilities, without pushing you into something you’re uncomfortable with. I was definitely sore the next day, especially in my hips and quads (perfect!) as well as my arms. Oy, those guys are weak! How embarrassing! :P

Friday/Saturday:
Rest Day
Unfortunately, the only class on Friday that I could make it to after work was too advanced for this beginner, and there were no classes available after work for me on Saturday. (Yes, I had to work this Saturday, but it was the last of my 3 Saturdays this year! :) So I had a few lazy days. I played with the idea of running, but decided to just take it easy, be good, and wait for Monday, just to play it safe.

Sunday:
Power Vinyasa (aka HOT yoga)
I was scared of this class. I don’t really like “heat”; at all. When it looks like its going to be hot out, I tell J we’re going to the coast, or to the movie theater. And basically, anything above 80°, well maybe 78°, is too “hot” for me. I’m a wuss! So the addition of heat (95°) as well as the word “challenging” in the description of the class, made me wonder if I was getting myself into something I might regret. But, I’m happy to say, it was actually kind of great. When you first enter the room, it’s definitely a little overwhelming! But after you enter and prepare yourself for the class, you don’t even really notice the heat too much. I never felt lightheaded or overheated, so it can’t have been that bad. You’ll definitely break a sweat in this class. I’m not sure if it was the class itself that was more challenging, or whether it was the different instructor, but I was definitely feeling the burn; in a good way! It was also cool to watch the others in the room do their “inversions”, but I know I’m nowhere near ready for that! Maybe someday?

Overall, it was a successful week of yoga, I think. At this point, I know I want to add Vinyasa to my running program. Next week, we’ll start running again, so I’ll have my first attempt at trying to find time after work for both activities. We won’t be running any long distances this week, just enough to shake out our legs a bit before the relay next weekend! We’re going to aim for 2-3 miles Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday, but that could always change. I have my 2 week pass for yoga through Monday (June 28), so we’ll see if I can try out any other different classes. I plan to continue after that, but just not as often, I’m not made of money! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment