Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Pints to Pasta 10k Recap

Well, last week wasn’t what I was anticipating going into the race. I had planned a slight cut back week, since I had been increasing mileage for several weeks leading up to the race. I figured a 6.2 “long run” was a good way to follow through with that plan. But that plan kinda changed when I awoke on Monday (Happy Labor Day) sick with a fever. Yuck!!

This made for a week of super cut back mileage. I only ran 3 times last week (including the race) for a grand total of 14 miles! C’est la vie!

I was a little worried about the decrease in mileage going into the race, even though I’ve been going steady for several weeks previous to that. But I definitely had some goals going in: The biggest goal being to PR.

This course is a point to point course from the Adidas campus to The Spaghetti Factory, and mostly downhill. The race organizers suggest everyone park at The Spaghetti Factory, and take the shuttle to the start line. Since we live somewhat close to the Finish Line, we didn’t really want to park there. We looked up public transportation to the starting line, and found out the light rail would take us about 0.8 miles away. Perfect! We made it there in plenty of time and waited in the huge line to drop off our bag. After a quick warmup we saw that people were lining up. We ended up somewhat in the middle of the pack (not exactly where I wanted to be…) and soon enough, we were off!

Mile 1:
This mile included a lot of dodging, of course, especially with the large downhill section just after the starting line. It was also pretty quick! I tried to hold back a little bit on the downhill, since I didn’t want to burn myself out, but I still wanted to take advantage of it. Overall, I think I did well!

7:50

Mile 2:
Mile 2 was more of the same (except a little less descent), I just tried to keep a tough but manageable pace. I was aiming for 8:00-8:15 min/mi paces. Nailed it!

8:11

Mile 3:
We crossed the Broadway Bridge during this mile, which included a slight uphill, but was followed by a nice downhill section. This was the opposite direction of when we crossed this bridge on the Bridge to Brews course, and it was much nicer in comparison!

8:14

Mile 4-5:
These miles were in familiar territory: The Waterfront path. It was kinda fun to be in a race along a familiar route! Mile 4 was easy, but I think I started to worry about holding my pace on Mile 5, which is why I think I kinda slowed down.

8:00
8:15

Along the good ole Waterfront:63305-044-021f

Mile 6:
Again, we were in familiar territory. It was nice to be running in an area that I’m familiar with, running-wise. I was able to feel how much further we had to go.

8:05

Sprinting to the finish:63305-112-007f

Mile 6.2:
I could see the finish line from really far away (~0.3 miles). I looked at my watched and notice that I could break 50:00, so I took off at a sprint and gave it all I had! I even caught up with Paula Harkin, of Run with Paula!! (I literally “Ran” with Paula! ;)

6:19 avg pace

Running with Paula (she’s in the front, I’m in the back):
63305-112-005f

Official Time:
49:47 (8:01 avg pace)
Massive PR by over 6 minutes!! Woohoo!

It was a great course, even though I’ve run through most of it habitually. (The net elevation loss can’t help!) I was hoping to be able to break 50 minutes, and I totally did. Not too bad after a sick week! :)

_________________________________________________________________________________

Next Saturday we’re racing a 5k. I’m hoping for another PR, since it shouldn’t be nearly as hot as my last one…We’re doing the Oktoberfest 5k in Mt. Angel. It’s a bit of a drive, but it looks fun! It’s one of our last short races of the year (at least for what’s on our schedule now…)

This is also my first week of training for my “goal” race: The Run to Stay Warm Half Marathon. This training cycle might not work out exactly as “planned” on paper, since I have a *few* half marathons placed in the mix… You think I might be addicted?

These include:
10/10: First half of the Portland Marathon.
I’m going to be pacing the first half of the Portland Marathon with my friend. We’re running the 4:45 group (about 10:52 pace) so it’ll be a nice easy run, and I’m really looking forward to it!

10/17: Nike Women’s Half Marathon
This is another “fun” run. No PR here, although I’m sure the hills will be a good workout!

11/6: Silver Falls Trail Half Marathon
Sure to be a beautiful course, also another “fun” run! (What’s wrong with that?!) I’ll definitely bring my camera!

11/20: EWEB Run to Stay Warm
*Goal Race!!

Here’s to some great runs!

1 comment:

  1. great race report. I have never done this race, and may have to next year - I always hear such good things about it.

    Congrats on the major PR - 6 minutes in a 10K is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete