Pages

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Lazy Runners

We ran only twice this week. Geez! I think we need to start getting some more runs in. We haven’t exactly been “lazy”, but I really feel like we should step up our running game! First the recap:

Monday:
J’s first Power Vinyasa
This class involved a lot of lunges. Our quads felt the burn, for sure!

Tuesday:
Track (workout at “L” pace)
1 x 1 mile on chips (400)
1 x 1200 (400)
1 x 1000 (400)
6 x 200 @S (200) (Low mileage runners might want to do fewer)

Well, I only completed the first 1 mile, and it was not even near target pace. My legs were talking to me, and they were saying, “Track tonight, not your best idea ever.” Guess my legs were still fatigued from the 5k on Sunday, go figure! I decided that nice easy running was the safer option for my legs. (No injuries for me, please!) I figure I ran about 4.18 miles total, including the .75 mi warmup run to the track. Meh.

Wednesday:
Power Vinyasa
This class involved a lot of Chair Pose/Squat motions. Our quads felt the burn, again!

Thursday:
Vinyasa
My day was pretty awful, from the moment I finally left work at 5:15, until our yoga class began. When I left work, traffic was pretty easy going, no problem! Then I hit the 405, and traffic was at a standstill (flashback to my worst commute ever: December 29, 2009, freak snowstorm hits right at rush hour, it takes me 4+ hours to drive 12 miles home, at least 1+ hour of that drive was spent on the 405…*shivers*). I decided to exit as early as I could, because I hate being stuck on that stupid bridge (there was an accident on my normal exit, which accounts for the standstill), then got stuck on NW 23rd. (I hate driving on 23rd…Walking on 23rd sure, but that is no place to drive!) Finally, I made it home, just in time to miss our streetcar ride… I quickly changed into my yoga gear and walked quickly toward the studio. We were kind of late (later than I like, anyhow) so I quickly made my way into the locker room to lock away our stuff. As I was gliding across the floor, I soon found that I was gliding toward the floor. Yes, I bit it (thank you shower takers for taking the time to wash the floor!) I picked up my bruised ego and made my way back out to meet J. We took our places onto the mat, and I pledged to myself to let everything go, and just enjoy the yoga; and I DID! Great class! I love yoga! Especially after a stupid day! (BTW, this class included a lot of lunges plus chair poses. Our poor, poor quads!!!)

Friday:
~4 mile run
J wanted to try another hilly run, so we went for it. (Gluttons for punishment!) We ran over to Sam Jackson Rd. Found the trailhead for Council Crest, ran up it for at least .5 mi, then decided to go back down. (I guess this section was half running/half climbing/walking/wheezing! ;) We made our way back to the trailhead and found another path toward Broadway (another uphill, wheezy, climby trail) then ran down Broadway and headed home. Garmin was only somewhat accurate, but trail markers and such lead me to believe we did about 4 miles.

Saturday:
Fun Day
We travelled down to Newport to visit my Grandfather for his 80th Birthday. We went to lunch at the Golf Course (his favorite place) then headed back to his place to enjoy the cake J spent all day Friday baking. (It was delicious.) After cake, we bade farewell to my Grandfather, and headed out to Rogue Brewery for a Brewery tour, and then the Rogue Distillery for the Distillery “tour” (ie. The Distillery “room”.) Later we went back to the Brewery to sample some beers, then over to the other side of the Bay for some delicious clam chowder at Mo’s. Mmm…(I lived in Newport for 5 years, ages 10-15, so I’m pretty familiar with the area.) We headed home pretty late, and quickly nodded off to sleep.

Rogue Brewery:photo Yummy Beers (Sig’s NW IRA: eh; Free Range Red: it’s ok; Hazelnut Brown Nectar: freaking delicious, I love Hazelnut!; St. Rogue’s Red: most favorite of the 4, really good!):photo(3)Rogue Distillery:photo(2) Mo’s Clam Chowder:
photo(4)

Sunday:
Lazy Day
We capped off our “Lazy Week” with a “Lazy Day”. And it was good. It’s been awhile since I haven’t done anything active for a full day, so it seems pretty worth it.

So I prefaced this post but saying how I wanted to increase the running. This week, I’m going to try experimenting with lunchtime runs. This way, I can increase the mileage, without sacrificing the yoga! I hope it works, because I love both running and yoga, and I don’t want to skimp on either one, if I don’t have to. Might as well give it a try, right?! So here’s the “plan”:

Monday:
Lunchtime Run
Evening Power Vinyasa

Tuesday:
Track

Wednesday:
Power Vinyasa

Thursday:
First Thursday (come join if you’re in the area, it’s super fun!)

Friday:
Run, probably

Saturday/Sunday
10 mile run (I hope!) one day
Yoga the other day

Ok, so only one day is an experimental “lunch run”, but you gotta start somewhere! ;) Here’s hoping it goes well! :)

1 comment:

  1. That's funny! We tried to go to Mo's yesterday in Cannon Beach and there was line out the door!

    ReplyDelete