Pages

Sunday, April 11, 2010

SoCal Vacation, Part 2, and back again

It has been a little while since my last blog entry, and I’d like to say “things have been just too crazy to blog!” But that would be a lie. Vacation didn’t go exactly as planned. Instead of having fun in the sun, I was assaulted by Southern California’s allergens.

Friday, during our vacation, I went to bed with a tiny bit of a sore throat, hoping it would go away. It did not. Saturday was our planned 6-miler, and we completed it as scheduled. I felt good during the run, and my sore throat disappeared (only to come back soon thereafter). Boo! And it only got worse from there. The sore throat vanished by the next day, but then the nose started running, and then the cough developed.

And the runny nose and the cough stayed with me until…well they’re still kinda with me. :(

We returned to Portland last Tuesday, and I was planning on returning to work on Wednesday, but I was still sick. So I planned to return on Thursday, but I was still sick. So I planned to return on Friday, but yeah, I was still sick.

But I’ve finally started to feel better. Finally!! And I think I can return to work tomorrow. *Fingers crossed*

So how did this affect my running. Blarg. Here’s a recap:

Saturday:
6 miles (9:35 avg pace)
The run itself was kind of fun. We ran along the HB path near the pier. Our pace was pretty even, and there were actually a lot of other runners out there. Some in long sleeves and TIGHTS! It was 60°+, and we were roasting! What a difference living in different climates makes!

Mile 1: 9:32
Mile 2: 9:28
Mile 3: 9:41
Mile 4: 9:33
Mile 5: 9:43
Mile 6: 9:33

Monday:
3 miles (9:41 avg pace)
This run was done in the rain. And not just wimpy rain. I think the same amount of rain fell during that 30-ish minutes then falls all day in Portland. :) This run did not feel good. I could not have run any further, that’s for sure.

Wednesday:
Cancelled

Thursday:
Cancelled

Saturday:
3 miles-ish (“Blech” avg pace)
I was starting to feel a bit better, and was hoping this run would make me feel better. Strangely enough, it did. Not during the run (“Blech”), but afterward I did feel better. And look at me today. I have enough energy to blog! (And go with J to Costco! Whoopee!)

It appears that I’m on the mend! Here’s hoping the mending continues. I have my 1st 10K on Sunday (which just so happens to be our Anniversary), so I have to be better by then!

Also on tap for this week:

Monday:
3 miles

Tuesday:
Cross training/stop being lazy

Wednesday:
4 miles/Meet up with Alisa (hopefully! :)

Thursday:
3 miles

Friday:
Cross training?

Saturday:
Rest

Sunday:
Bridge to Brews!

Here’s hoping all goes according to plan! :)

3 comments:

  1. I hope you feel better soon! I'm doing Bridge to Brews too, maybe we can meet up in the brews area?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are on the mend; I would actually think the allergies would be worse in Portland than in Southern California - interesting.

    I am also doing Bridge to Brews :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm excited about Wednesday. I need to pick up my hubby at OMSI immediately following the run so I'll probably just to one loop from the steel bridge and back to the Pearl. Maybe Jen (from above) will come join us or we'll see her along the route.

    Hope you feel better! I would agree with Kathy that I'd imagine allergies to be worse here but I guess different pollens affect people differently. I NEVER had allergies in Cali but I do here.

    PS I hope you're in for a recovery run Wednesday b/c you're faster than me =).

    ReplyDelete