Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

FAIL...boat



"Let's just go out for an easy 3 mile run!" - Famous last words...

This "run" was very frustrating. Yes, it is true...My shin splints are not, in fact, gone. GRRRRR.

After our awesome Monday, I have to admit, my shins didn't feel that great at work yesterday.... But then again, they weren't that bad. After the excruciating pain I experienced the week after First Run, this was just a little discomfort, so how bad could it be to go out for a run tonight? Well, after about 20 minutes of shuffling, I called it quits. Who was I kidding? My shins hurt. And they were just going to get worse. We still had about 40 minutes of walking left to get home, and I let J know just how frustrated I really was... Poor J. This newbie was über p!$$ed I didn't get to complete a measly 3 mile run. Come on! Just 3 miles! Why can't I just run 3 miles?!!! Well...run it pain-free anyway!

Thus today marks the beginning of "Operation Fix Shins!"

Here's the plan:
1) No running for 2 more weeks! (Definitely not my favorite part of the plan...Yay, xtraining?)
2) Try to ice 2-3x/day. (We really need to invest in some ice-packs...)
3) Take 2 ibuprofen every 4 hours. (No more inflammation, please!)
4) Wear my custom orthotics when on my feet. (You wouldn't believe how great my shins felt after I slipped those puppies into my shoes. How great is arch support?! I've had these guys in my possession, but like the bad little PT I am, I haven't actually used them...oops! Lessons learned!)

I will reassess with a test run after the 2 week break: 2/4/2010. I reaaally hope I can start running again. I'm hoping that this rest will let my shins recover and heal. I'm also hoping that by repairing the "shoe" situation, I will prevent future injury to the little guys.


**I was going to post a picture to illustrate my "determination". I googled "determination" and I found the greatest picture ever...but I cannot post it on my blog because it is really gross, and hilarious, all at the same time. If I've piqued your curiosity, you can find it here, but you have been warned...**

No comments:

Post a Comment