Pages

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Busy Weekend

It was a great, but busy weekend!

Saturday:
5 miles on the Springwater Corridor (9:38 avg. pace)

Mile 1: 10:03
Mile 2: 9:26
Mile 3: 9:37
Mile 4: 9:34
Mile 5: 9:32

After warming-up for the first mile, our splits were pretty consistent. It didn’t feel like we were going all out, which I think is a good sign. When we were done, I felt like we could keep going, so that is encouraging. 6 miles next week, in California! Prediction: It’s gonna be warm outside… Heat training! :-/

After our run, we headed up toward the zoo for my Mom’s birthday. Unfortunately (or fortunately) the zoo was packed since it ended up being a gorgeous day outside. We ended up parking along the Wildwood Trail, and walking 2 miles to/from the Japanese Gardens. It was much more peaceful than the zoo would have been, so it worked out for the best. We ended up walking a lot that day, so we had some pretty tuckered legs when we finally made it home!

Sunday:
We volunteered at the Fort Vancouver Run. We woke up at 5am (yikes!) and got to the race by 6:45am. It was pouring outside when we first got there, but it tapered off slowly, and by 7:30-ish, the rain had pretty much stopped. The bag check wasn’t too busy, since there was a lot of parking available near the race. Since it wasn’t too busy, J and I were assigned to work the finish line. J was assigned to keep track of the bib numbers for the Top 10 Men’s and Women’s 10K finishers. I, on the other hand, got to input all the bib numbers I could for all the finishers, for all three races. All I can say is the 5K bibs were extremely hard to read; green on blue is a bad combo! But it was fun standing at the finish line, because I got to cheer for all the finishers. And I do mean all! :-)

When we were done, we went to The Rock for our free beer and enjoyed some pizza. The beer really helped prepare us for our nap when we got home. All in all, a successful weekend!

Here’s some pics I took at the race this morning. (I didn’t get any of J and I since my fingers were busy inputting bib numbers!)

The start of the 15K:

IMG_1103

Check out the barefoot runner pulling his kids behind him. He was running the 15K. I’m 99% sure this is an article about him (he sat at the table next to us at lunch). That’s pretty awesome!IMG_1106

The start of the 5K/10K. (They had to wait around for at least 20 minutes waiting for the roads to get cleared of traffic; I was cold just looking at them!) IMG_1107So the 5K was actually a 5K + 1/2 mile. The little girl in pink is 10 years old. She finished 15th overall in 26:29 (avg. pace 7:21)! She was impressive!IMG_1110

Next week’s agenda:

Monday:
3 miles

Tuesday:
Rest Day/Pushups? (we’ll see…)

Wednesday:
3 miles with the Easter Fulton Pub Run (it looks like a lot of fun!)

Thursday:
Flying down to Southern California early in the morning! And somehow fitting in 3 miles, after a dentist appointment, hopefully!

Friday:
Rest Day/Hanging out with J’s family

Saturday:
6 miles along the beach. Prediction: Sun

Sunday:
Rest Day/Hopefully time to blog!

See you on the flip side!

4 comments:

  1. Great run and volunteering! Wow that 10 yr old smoked me!

    Have fun in Cali, I'll be there friday-monday too! I love the heat and the sun I can't want for summer!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool to volunteer; I try to do the same a few times a year. I so appreciate the volunteers when I am out on the course.

    Maybe we can go for a run sometime? Alisa and I are meeting tomorrow evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great consistent paces for you 5 miler! (I actually prefer this cooler weather for running - that is definitely one area where Alisa & I differ!)

    Have a good trip to California! (Also nice Wildwood runs! That is my favorite place in all of Portland to run.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome pace on that run! A Garmin is such a great training tool. Have a fun trip! :)

    ReplyDelete