Pages

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Noob Fail!

So after the AWESOME run that was Sunday, I decided to stick with my (until-yesterday) tentative plan for a "recovery run" the following day. BAD idea. I planned on doing 3 miles, but I started feeling some shin pain 2 miles in. This is where I should have started walking. When will I learn!!?

As you may have guessed, I didn't start walking; I kept running. I kept it slow, 11:35-ish pace slow. But I could still feel pain, which should have alerted me to a potential problem. But I was so focused on getting the 3 miles in, that I pushed it. Argh! It's not really feeling too bad today. But that's in comparison to how it felt way back when it was horrible! I'm planning on keeping an eye on it today and tomorrow. If it still feels...painful, I'll skip my planned Wednesday run. I'm hoping I'm fully recovered by then (wishful thinking, much?) If not, I'll wait for Thursday's planned run.

Which leads me to our new running schedule. We have begun a two week "conditioning" program in preparation for half marathon training. Pre-half-marathon training, I suppose. Here's what I had/have planned for this week:

Monday:
3 mile "recovery run" – completed at 11:35 pace. (And yet, still FAIL.)

Tuesday:
Rest Day (and praying for the health of my shins...)

Wednesday:
3 miles planned (unless I have lingering shin pain)

Thursday:
3 miles

Friday:
Rest Day

Saturday:
4 miles (Baby's First "Long Run")

Sunday:
Rest Day

This was to be our first official training week including 4 whole runs. Who knows! Maybe it still will be? If nothing else, at least I learned my limits. No running the day after awesome, all-out races!

Oh, and by the way, in case you didn't catch the major hint above (where I mentioned our new "Pre-half-marathon training" program) we may have, kinda, just maybe, signed up for the Helvetia Half Marathon on June 10th, you know, right after I broke my legs yesterday. Oops! But it's ok. We've already told each other, worse case scenario, that we can walk it. AND, we will definitely be getting a burger and beer at the end; how could we go wrong!! :/

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the 5k!! You did great!! How cool.

    I definitely think you should take an extra rest day or two this week- the rule is "rest one day for every mile raced" which earns you a 3 day rest! I always take post-race recovery very serious because every time I've ever really been injured has been because I ran too soon after a race. No fun! Take it easy.

    SO exciting about the half!! I am thinking of doing that one too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice. I know I should take some time off, but it's so hard when you're so motivated! :)

    I've heard really good things about that half. You should totally look into it if it works in your schedule!

    ReplyDelete