Pages

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Change of Plans

So remember yesterday, when I went on and on about my "plan" and the included "strength training"? (Reference this post.) Well, it didn't go exactly according to plan...

We were all dressed and ready to go when, *POW*, J remembered we were expecting a shipment from UPS, and it hadn't arrived yet! It was one of those deals where they say they'll deliver it sometime between 7am and 7pm. Well this particular package (which may or may not have included wine... ;) needed to be signed for.

"Well, hmm?," I said. "What about our workout?," all the time saying to myself, "Crap! I was just blogging about how good we were at sticking to our plan! I can't say that I'm going to do something and then back out! What would the Blog Gods do to me??"

We could split up, one of us going to the gym, one staying to wait for the delivery. But we're relative newlyweds! We can't be separated!! (i.e. J wouldn't do the exercises on his own, without my "expert" guidance! Translation: J wouldn't do them because he doesn't want to!)

Since I am a PT, I knew exactly what to do in this situation: I turned to my trusted friend for support: Google. (It's not cheating is it?!) I searched for exercises we could perform in our limited condo space, that would still focus on the selected muscle groups. I found 2 exercises and added one of my own. These are what we ended up doing:

Wall Sits: Pretty self-explanatory. We did it with a pillow between our knees to incorporate more VMO action. 2 sets of 10 reps (holding each rep for 10 seconds). Slow motion.
Straight-Legged Bridging (best name I could think up!) Heels placed on couch, lift buttocks off ground, keeping knees and hips straight. Your shoulders should still be on the ground. We held each rep for 5 count. 2 sets of 5 reps.
Hip Abduction: Sidelying, with top hip slightly more forward than bottom hip. Lift top leg straight up into air, only about 45° up. 2 sets of 10 reps.

These exercises were tough, and definitely did their job. We might try to incorporate them into our regular routine!

To tie up all the loose ends: The shipment did arrive, although not during our workout. It arrived at about 7:30pm, outside the timeframe, but at least we got our wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment