Pages

Monday, November 23, 2009

A Slight Change of Scenery

Ok, so I'm addicted to blogs. I stumble across one, read it in its entirety, then have to search for a new one. I move from subject to subject. I don't even KNOW these people, and yet, I can't stop reading!

So, I've decided to start my own blog. I don't know if anyone is ever going to read it, but I want in on the fun. It's fun to read what other people are doing in similar situations to your own. (At least it is for me! :) I imagine that it's just as much fun to write a blog of your own!

What subject am I going to examine? Well, I've just begun running, with the ultimate goal of running a marathon. (Well at least one.) I'm starting with a smaller goal, though: To run a 5K. On paper (or in text on a computer), it doesn't seem like such a large goal. But, if you take into consideration that I absolutely loathed running until about a month ago, its a giant step for me.

This brings me to the name I've given my blog. I may not have enjoyed running (hated it, actually), but I was a fairly active youngster. I was a competitive swimmer for twelve years. My swimming career ended during my last year of undergraduate studies. I was a long distance swimmer, actually, which you think would prepare me for any other endurance activity (running included). This was not the case. When I would swim, during training or races, I hardly even used my legs; they just kind of dragged behind me. So any activity requiring excessive use of my legs (ahem...running) did not come as naturally as you would think.

During the first 27 years of my life, I had never once received pleasure from running. That all ended about 1 month ago when I experienced the mythical "runner's high". I had come across an article in some magazine (can't for the life of me remember which one) that detailed how a non-runner could transform into a runner. What motivated me to attempt this, I do not know, but thus far I am very grateful it did! The "plan" was similar to many beginning runner plans. It started by having you run 1 minute, walk 4 minutes, and continue until you've reached 30 minutes. I subsequently lost the paper holding the "plan" and had to google search for a new one, which I actually like more. But it was during the first phase, with the first "plan" that I experienced my first "runner's high".

At this point in the "plan", I was only supposed to run for 2 minutes, but after the first 2 minutes, I still felt great. That had never happened to me while running, so I continued for another minute, and another, until I had been running for 5 minutes. At that time, 30 minutes had passed since the beginning of the session, so I stopped to avoid injury, but I was hooked. I've been running 3 days/week, 30 minutes/day, and it has been going great! I run with my husband (we're newlyweds!! :) which has been a great motivator!

In my swimming days, I would spend hours with my head submerged in water, following an endless black line. Now, I get to enjoy the beautiful scenery around my home, which is constantly changing. It is certainly a change of scenery.

I'll write more about my running schedule later. I may be new at this, but I'm sure I've written plenty for my first post (I'm a rambler! watch out!)

No comments:

Post a Comment